Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bath & Stonehenge

Last weekend Julia and I went to Bath for a few days. #1 rule of travel: it is a very bad idea to both fall asleep on the train. Neither of us remember falling asleep, but next thing I know, the train is stopped. I looked outside the window, and saw the sign for Bath Spa, which was our stop. I yelled at Julia, and we jumped up, grabbed our luggage, and jumped off the train just in time before it started moving again!
Bath is such a cute little town! Though I have been there before (about 5 years ago), I still did all the touristy stuff. We went to Bath Abbey, which is where the 1st King of all England (Edgar) was crowned. We took a tour, which took us up over 200 steps on a tight, stone spiral staircase, to the top tower which overlooked all of Bath. It was beautiful! After, we went to the Roman Baths, which are preserved Roman baths used for public bathing. The Romans dedicated this sacred springs to their Goddess Minerva, the Goddess of medicine. They believed these baths had healing powers due to the "unexplainable" heat, and surplus of minerals in the water. At the end of the tour, we were able to try a sample of the water, so I thought why not give it a try?! It tasted like liquid metal, and I only got in two sips before giving up. After the Roman Baths, we walked around the town for a while, and just explored the city.
The next morning we went to Stonehenge, which I had also been to before, but it is such an amazing sight, I could never get enough of it! Fortunately we went during the right time of the year, because during the Winter and early Spring months, there are a lot less tourists, which is nice!

2 comments:

  1. Megan,
    Your pictures are amazing. When we were there I so wanted pictures of the covered bridge over the river. I should have sent you to the little pen shop in Bath to pick me up something.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's not like BART, if you miss your exit, you just get off and jump on the train going back! I think I've done that a few times!

    Your pictures are really gorgeous! What a beautiful place... so old. That's one thing which is so cool about getting out of the US. Our history doesn't go back very far. I'm glad you got a chance to go back, so you could spend more time exploring.

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics