Friday, January 15, 2010

A Little Look at Middlesex

Sorry for not posting for so long, I have been busy trying to sort out my classes, and get settled in. We have had some snow this week, which made me extremely happy, but it was almost all washed away the next day by rain. Since my last post, I have continued to meet a lot of people, gone on a bus tour of London, gone to a club in the city, got my classes figured out, and gone on a The Great Treasure Hunt of London!
This past Monday, we were officially welcomed to our Middlesex campus, Trent Park. Just thought I'd share some interesting facts in case you were curious where the name Middlesex comes from. In the 6th Century, the Anglo-Saxons began to inhabit the area now known as London. The saxons named the east Essex, the south Sussex, the west wessex, and right in the middle was Middlesex. As the city of London grew larger, it became bigger than the county of Middlesex which it was in, therefore changing the name of Middlesex to London.
On our Trent Park campus, there is a building known as The Mansion. This is because Trent park used to be part of King Henry IV's hunting grounds. Later, in 1909 the estate was sold to a man who who played host to many celebrity visitors at Trent Park, such as Charlie Chaplin and Winston Churchill. At one point Queen Victoria even vacationed at the Mansion.
I am not going to get into my classes now, since I'm sure I will talk about them later but I am so relieved that I got into the ones which I wanted. As of now, I have class Wednesday at 10:00am, and Thursday at 2:00pm.

2 comments:

  1. Meg. Glad you are settling in. The campus and history was very interesting. Your photos have been great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 day weekends! Time to start planning your trips. I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics